Social, Ethics and Transformation Committee report
I am pleased to report on the activities of the Committee for the financial year ended 31 May 2016.
The Committee was formed in February 2012 in accordance with section 72(4) of the Act and operates under Board-approved terms of reference, which includes holding meetings twice per financial year. This year two main items occupied the Committee’s deliberations:
Transformation across the Group’s workplace:
- Review current initiatives and their effectiveness and making appropriate recommendations
- Monitoring progress of the roadmap to address equity B-BBEE shortfalls
- Company and subsidiary B-BBEE ratings
- Impacts of the revised and clarified dti codes of good practice.
Boys & Girls Clubs of South Africa (BGCSA):
- The ongoing support of the flagship project, the Protea Glen Club, Soweto, culminated in its official opening in May 2016. It was attended by members of the committee and the Board of Directors. Key note speakers included Brett Levy, Archie Rantao and MEC Lesufi.
The following items were also considered during the year:
Social and economic development matters:
- Transformation and B-BBEE in general
- Employment equity, including feedback from the Chairperson of the Employment Equity Committee
- Ten principles of the United Global Compact
- Training and development, including Board participation, leadership and mentoring programmes
- Corporate Social Investment, including monitoring and spend on projects
- Sponsorship and donations
- Ethics Statement and Whistle Blowing Policy
- Health and safety review
- Health and safety practices
- Review of environmental footprint
On 8 March 2016 we welcomed Yusuf Mahomed as a member of the committee.
I look forward to reporting on our progress next year.
9 November 2016