At Blue Label Telecoms, we’re impressed by character, dedication and perseverance as much as we are impressed with qualifications and experience. #TeamBlu players have the tenacity, courage and passion for achieving results without trampling fellow team members to get where they’re going. Our industry faces rapid change, all the time. If you’re resilient and adaptable, you’ll thrive on the fast-paced world we operate in.
We encourage you to have fun and find your purpose while always keeping an eye on the prize. “The prize?”, you might ask - will always be our strive for customer-centricity. If you are an innovator, an optimist, an agent of change, then we want you on our side! We want agile, collaborative thinkers who can evaluate, investigate, and communicate their way through any snags and problems - people who understand that businesses are built on the entrepreneurial spirit of each and every one of us.
We are looking for individuals to build relationships and who are not only in it for the ‘now’. Our team spirit is built on integrity, honesty and respect. We firmly believe that skills and knowledge can be acquired, but it is fundamentally your aspiration to succeed that will forge the pathway to greatness.
Are you TeamBlu?
Head : Data Engineer - BluNova
Responsible for building the organisations data collection systems and processing pipelines. Oversee infrastructure, tools and frameworks used to support the delivery of end-to-end solutions to business problems through high performing data infrastructure. Responsible for expanding and optimising the organisations data and data pipeline architecture, whilst optimising data flow and collection to ultimately support data initiatives.
- Owns and extends the business’s data pipeline through the collection, storage, processing, and transformation of large data-sets and oversees the process for creating and maintaining optimal data pipeline architecture and creating databases optimized for performance, implementing schema changes, and maintaining data architecture standards across the required Standard Bank databases.
- Oversee the assembly of large, complex data sets that meet functional / nonfunctional business requirements and align data architecture with business requirements.
- Responsible overseeing the process for enabling and running data migrations across different databases and different servers and defines and implements data stores based on system requirements and consumer requirements.
- Oversee, design, and develop algorithms for real-time data processing within the business and to create the frameworks that enable quick and easy access to relevant data.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimising xxxxxxxxx into an innovative industry leader.
- Monitor the existing metrics, analyse data, and lead partnership with other Data and Analytics teams in an effort to identify and implement system and process improvements.
- Utilise data to discover tasks that can be automated and identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Developing ETL processes that convert data into formats for consumption.
Risk, Regulatory, Prudential and Compliance
- Responsible for executing testing and validation in line with data governance and quality business requirements.
- Liaise with and collaborate with data analysts, data warehousing engineers, and data scientists in finding and applying best practices within the Data and Analytics department as well as defining the business’s data requirements, which will ensure that the collected data is of a high quality and optimal for use across the department and the business at large.
- Acts as a subject matter expert from a data perspective and provides input into all decisions relating to data engineering and the use thereof.
- Provide guidance in terms of setting governance standards.
- Responsibility for contributing to the continual improvement of the business’s data platforms through thorough observations and well-researched knowledge.
- Keeps track of industry best practices and trends and through acquired knowledge, takes advantage of process and system improvement opportunities.
- Provide oversights and expertise to the Data Insights and Analytics that is responsible for the design, deployment, and maintenance of the business’s data requirements.
Business Requirements Identification
- Elicit the most complex business requirements using a variety of methods such as interviews, document analysis, workshops, and workflow analysis to express the requirements in terms of target user roles and goals.
Insights and Reporting
- Contribute to the design and creation of reporting strategies and templates.
- Lead execution of complex reports, identifying and interpreting complex patterns and trends, and translating those insights into actionable recommendations.
Budgeting and Costing
- Develop and/or deliver budget plans with guidance from senior colleagues.
Digital Culture Creation
- Integrate digital capabilities into processes, projects, and team dynamics.
- Execute and champion transformational projects intended to develop a digital culture.
Digital Vision and Strategy
- Conceptualize elements of digital strategy/digital-enabled business change projects.
- Develop approaches to programmatically deliver successful digital innovation engagements.
Digital Strategy/Transformational Projects Execution
- Manage and deliver end-to-end digital programs and initiatives, leveraging agile and design-thinking principles to drive sustainable implementation.
Performance Improvement through Business Intelligence
- Create complex algorithms that identify patterns in structured data through supervised and unsupervised data. Manage data preparation in collaboration with different stakeholders/internal clients in the business.
- Manage and report on the performance of a substantial, diverse team; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports or project / account team members and hold them accountable for achieving these; take appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of team / personal objectives.
- Apache Spark. (supports programming languages Python, Scala, Java, and R) C++.
- Amazon Web Services.
- Amazon S3.
- Post Graduate Degree: Information Technology.
- Post Graduate Degree: Information Studies.
- Masters Degree: Information Technology.
- Masters Degree: Information Studies.
Competencies / Behaviour
- IT Architecture.
- Data Integrity.
- IT Applications.
- Data Analysis.
- Knowledge Classification.
- Data Control.
- Policy and procedures.
- Customer and Market Analysis.
- IT Data Management.
Important Hard Skills:
- Database systems (SQL and NoSQL). Data engineer must know how to manipulate database management systems (DBMS), which is a software application that provides an interface to databases for information storage and retrieval.
- Data warehousing solutions.
- ETL tools. ETL (Extract, Transfer, Load)
- Data APIs. Allows two applications or machines to communicate with each other for a specified task.
- Python, Java, R and Scala programming languages.
- Understanding the basics of distributed systems.
Important Soft Skills:
- Interface with machine learning engineers, data analysts, CTOs, and developers.
- They may also work with other teams or business units to gather requirements and define the scope of a project.
- Need to understand the expectations of the teams they’re working with, how frequently they need to be updated, and what their pain points are.
- May be expected to perform data analysis and present their findings to stakeholders.
- Network/IT security.
- Product Development.
- Manages Complexity.
- Strategic Mindset.
- Cultivates Innovation.
- Business Insight.
- Drives Engagement.
- Drives Results.
- Optimizes Work Processes.
- Decision Quality.
- Plans and Aligns.
- Tech Savvy.
- Nimble Learning.
- Situational Adaptability.
- Action Oriented.
- Absa Bank
- GIB (provident fund)
- Hotels and Wine discounts
- Grayston Pharmacy Deliveries
Your family matters to you, so they are important to us too, many of our benefit programs are aimed at supporting you and your loved ones through life's various stages.
- My Run
- Healthy Company
Our employees' physical, mental, emotional & financial health is one of our priorities. We promote a healthy, balanced lifestyle by bringing various healthy initiatives to the workplace.
QUALITY OF WORK
We offer exciting and challenging work which encourages innovation and out of the box thinking.
CULTURE & LEADERSHIP
- Blue Blood
- CLA Values awareness and engagement
- Communication from Leadership, desk drop
We are a fun and family orientated environment that values high performance through, transparency, collaboration and customer centricity.
We create a fun filled environment where people feel passionate, safe, valued and cared for. We treat each other with respect and operate with authenticity and integrity!
Our employees have the opportunity to engage with communities the company supports through identified events and initiatives.
We offer competitive compensation that rewards high performance.